Do you ensure that all data on the devices is erased?
Yes, we use a software erasure program called Blancco. Once we collect your items, ERA takes responsibility for all devices. We can also offer physical destruction of hard drives with the use of our industrial shredder for $5/drive.
Will you accept non-functioning items?
Yes, there are no restrictions on age, quality, or condition – we accept non-functioning items but they must be IT related.
What are the accepted items? (NO PRINTERS for participants outside our operating areas)
*No personal or household appliances (electric toothbrushes/razors, microwaves, coffee pots, etc)
Please ask us if you are unsure what is accepted
- LAPTOPS/COMPUTERS (MAC AND PC)
- DOCKING STATIONS
- PARTS (MOTHERBOARDS, HARD DRIVES, ETC.)
- KEYBOARDS, MICE, WIRES/CABLES
- GAMING CONSOLES
- IPODS/IPADS/MP3 PLAYERS
- STEREO EQUIPMENT
- PRINTERS (INJET AND LASERJET)
- FAX MACHINES
- SCANNERS & COPIERS
- MOBILE PHONES/IPHONES/SMART PHONES
- PHONE SYSTEMS
- CD/DVD & CARDS
- SERVERS (RACKS, STANDS, ALL BRANDS)
- SOFTWARE (OPERATING/EDITING/DESIGN)
- SWITCHES AND ROUTERS
- DISK ARRAYS
If I live outside your operating area, will your staff be able to help me at a collection event?
Unfortunately, we cannot be onsite to assist you. You can still participate in the following ways:
- If you can palletize and shrink wrap the items collected, ERA will arrange the shipping and cover this cost. You can get pallets for free on Kijiji or by looking around industrial areas. Another suggestion would be to see if a courier company might be willing to sponsor you for the shipping material you require.
- All of this extra effort on your part being so far away would weigh into the consideration when choosing winners. (along with the number collected, percentage of working items, and quality of marketing material/plan)
- You can also reach out to organizations within ERA’s operating areas and we can pick up any e-waste directly from them. The items collected would count towards your participation.
Can I participate with a partner or in a group?
Yes, if you are chosen as a winner, the prize will be shared amongst the participants.
Can I host more than one event before the deadline?
Yes, just let us know where and when at least 2 weeks in advance.
Can a single event be hosted over several days?
Yes, as long as you are able to secure the receptacles in a safe and locked area. If the receptable becomes full throughout the duration of your extended event, ERA will swap it out during business hours Mon-Friday for local locations only. Alternatively, past recipients have stored collected items WITHOUT an ERA receptacle in their garage, home or school for ERA to pickup later.
Can I utilize your trucks to pickup from multiple locations during my event?
Trucks are for staff use only. We will not arrange multiple pickups; it must be a planned collection event hosted at the facility of your choice with pre-determined dates/times.
Exception for pickup is an organization with at least 20 eligible items (laptops, computers, cellphones, monitors, servers) within our service area. We encourage you to reach out to businesses who might be looking to dispose of their unwanted IT equipment. This is a great way to increase the total items you collect throughout the scholarship competition.
If I can’t find a place to host a collection event, what are my options?
We encourage you to reach out to your community. Parking lots of businesses, churches, community centres, place of your employment or volunteering, organizations that support sustainability, etc. We will allow the use of ERA warehouses for your collection event if you can’t find your own location. You can also have people drop off items directly to our warehouse. If they reference your name and ask for a collection certificate, we will count those items towards your total collected.
Do I need to be over 18 to participate?
If you are under 18, submit a Parental/Legal Guardian Consent Form provided by ERA and you will be eligible to participate.